- 5 Jul 2018 3:59 PM
My mother and I are the executive directors. Gerbeaud Gastronomy Ltd has three units: the 160-year-old Gerbeaud Café, Onyx Restaurant with two Michelin stars, and Émile which is located at Buda side.
1. Where did you grow up?
I grew up in Budapest.
2. If you could be an expat anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
I would definitely choose New York.
3. What would you miss most if you moved away from Hungary?
I would probably miss using and hearing Hungarian. It is very unique!
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend. What must they absolutely see and do?
Visit Gerbeaud Café! :-). Apart from that, visit the Parliament and downtown Budapest. I would take them to my favourite restaurants and wine bars; I would show them Hungarian gastronomy. And a very important part: always walk around in Budapest! You never know what you might find, but you will definitely feel the city as a local.
5. What is your favourite food?
I love spinach and eggs! I love eggs in every way: scrambled, eggs benedict, boiled. In particular, I love my eggs sunny-side up with truffles and manchengo cheese. I could eat it anytime. And let’s not forget bread with good quality butter!
6. What is your favourite sport / form of exercise?
I love tennis and horse riding; nowadays I am experimenting with boxing.
7. What is your favourite place in Hungary?
8. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
I started working at Gerbeaud Café when I was 16. It would be hard to imagine doing something else. I love being here. But if I had to choose, I would be a waitress on an exotic island. Problem is, I am never satisfied with being in the same place for a very long time; I would probably try to get higher on the ladder after a while.
9. What’s a job you would definitely never want?
I could never sit between four walls for too long, but I am very precise and when I am creating something I can sit in one place until I find it perfectly written or done. Communication is the key - if I could not communicate with people that would mean the end of the world for me!
10. Where did you spend your last vacation?
It was in the summer of 2016 when I visited Mexico.
11. Where do you hope to spend your next one?
I would love to visit Italy at least twice this summer. I have friends there and I would love to spend time with them.
12. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
When I was 16 I loved the ‘The Green Mile’ with Tom Hanks. I used to listen to EDDA, a Hungarian rock band, and I played basketball.
13. Apart of temptation what can't you resist?
Cognac cherry bonbon! :)
14. Red wine or white?
White and champagne!
15. Book or movie?
Both of them, for different occasions: movies are lighter and easier but a book can give you a deeper experience. Unfortunately I never have enough time for these!
16. Morning person or night person?
100% night person!
17. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
I am socially sensitive, but it is a hard question, since this is a sensitive topic. I am trying to do as much social work and volunteering through Gerbeaud Gastronomy Ltd as I can. It allows me to think in bigger terms when it comes to helping. I love this because it is not only good for the people in need but for our colleagues too - they can feel the impact of our actions.
18. Buda or Pest side?
I have always been a Pest kind of person, but I think I am changing now and recently welcomed Buda to my world!
19. Which achievement in your life are you most pleased about?
That’s a hard question, since there’s a thin line between confidence and ego. I would rather mention a quality of mine: my enthusiasm is never-ending, there’s no brick wall that is strong enough to stop me when I would like to reach something and I am enthusiastic about it!
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
Tradition and innovation! :)