- 6 Mar 2008 11:00 AM
My husband László (master photographer) and I (Army brat) have lived and worked all over the globe. When my American-Hungarian born husband quietly suggested, living for a spell in Hungary, I jumped at the idea. Today, when we visit family and friends in the US, Budapest is where we call 'home'.
I work in the Arts, taking an old idea from the NEW WORLD (volunteer museum docents) and bringing it to OLD EUROPE as a new idea, first, in the Fine Arts Museum of Budapest, and (this Spring) in the Ludwig Museum - Museum of Contemporary Arts.
Budapest does present special challenges due to the hard-to-learn language, and its citizen?s unkind preference for using it. BUT, In spite of my "Hunglish", Budapest is - a thriving international city where, wine, art, music and holiday festivals and events fill my calendar. The physical beauty rivals Hong Kong and Rio de Janeiro, especially breathtaking at night.?
Although I am obviously under the seductive spell of the city, she says, I do remember the initial confusion and uneasiness of relocating. I greatly appreciate the great value information sites like Xpatloop can be to the newly arrived and, us - old veterans!
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
LOVE! Living in Chicago, I meet and married a charming Hungarian named, Laszlo Kondor. In 1996, when he asked me if I would like to live in Hungary, I jumped at the chance.
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
Yes, Morocco, an exciting experience as a child
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
Kissing! Everyone and everywhere on cheeks, lips, hands, heads etc!
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend--what must they absolutely see and do?
Tour the Parliament, tour the Opera, tour the Szépművészeti and Ludwig Museums. Take the red metro and exit the deepest escalator I have ever seen on Moszkva tér
5. What is your favorite Hungarian food?
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
7. What is your favorite Hungarian word?
8. What do you miss the most from home?
Magazines delivered in the mail
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
An investment banker
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
12. Where do you hope to spend your next one?
As a guest in Roberto Prina's rustica in Liguria
13. What was your favorite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
Wandering the Colorado countryside from morning till night.
14. What can't you resist?
Chocolate, warning for my friends, DO NOT think about eating my chocolate!
15. Red wine or white?
16. Book or movie?
MOVIE MOVIE MOVIE !! never enough!
17. Morning person or night person?
AM often by 5:30, a wonderful quite time for my selfish self!
18. Dog person or cat person?
What is a cat, dogs rule!
19. Buda side or Pest side?
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
Never say never!