ISIS Combatant Handed Life Sentence In Budapest

  • 4 Dec 2020 7:52 AM
  • Hungary Matters
ISIS Combatant Handed Life Sentence In Budapest
The Budapest Municipal Court on Thursday sentenced Hassan F., a former combatant of the terrorist organisation ISIS, to life in prison.

In its non-final ruling, the court said the man was complicit in at least two killings in Syria in 2015, at least one of which involved beheading.

The man, who was sentenced for crimes against humanity and murder, was arrested in Budapest’s Liszt Ferenc International Airport in 2018, with forged documents.

The prosecution appealed for life in prison without the possibility of parole, the defence for acquittal, citing lack of evidence.



Hassan F. had already been sentenced for people smuggling and other crimes.


MTI Photo: Szilárd Koszticsák

Related links

Hungarian Opinion: Suspected ISIS Commander Detained In Hungary

  • How does this content make you feel?

XpatLoop Media Partner

Hungary Matters

Launched in January 2014, this twice-daily newsletter covers 'everything you need to know about what’s going on in Hungary and beyond', according to its publisher the state media agency MTI. Click the title above for more info, and to subscribe.

Explore More Reports

  • PM Orbán Offers Condolences To Austria

    PM Orbán Offers Condolences To Austria

    • 4 Nov 2020 7:07 AM

    Hungary stands by Austria with all its strength, and is ready to do everything it can to save Europe from a series of terrorist attacks, Prime Minister Viktor Orbán said after the terror attacks in Vienna.

  • PM Orbán Condemns France Terrorist Attack

    PM Orbán Condemns France Terrorist Attack

    • 31 Oct 2020 7:32 AM

    Prime Minister Viktor Orbán voiced shock at Thursday’s terrorist slaying in Nice, and insisted that “Africans should have a future in Africa … if you don’t want to give in, the only thing you can do is deny entry”.

  • Protest Outside PM Orbán’s House Was Banned Illegally

    Protest Outside PM Orbán’s House Was Banned Illegally

    • 7 Oct 2020 10:21 AM

    Demonstrations organised outside the house of the prime minister may not be banned by citing arbitrary, unlawful explanations, the European Court of Human Rights ruled in Strasbourg on Tuesday in a case that had been dragging on for seven years.