Xpat Interview: Judit Szauer, Gastronomy PR Specialist
- 5 Dec 2014 11:00 AM
Since 2010 Judit participated in major gastronomy projects in Hungary as a public relations specialist. She studied journalism at the Budapest College of Communication and Business.
Last year she founded her own gastro PR company, her goal is to help her clients to become more successful and popular in the gastronomy sector.
1. Where did you grow up?
I grew up in Budapest, and I always lived here.
2. If you could be an expat anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
I love Barcelona and the whole Catalan region. The people, the food, the landscape, the sea, everything is amazing there.
3. What would you miss most if you moved away from Hungary?
First of all, my family and my friends. The lake Balaton, the túró rudi and the húsleves :-)
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
Go to the Rudas bath, go to the farmer’s market at Szimplakert on Sunday, kissing in the middle of the Lánchíd (Chainbridge), going up to the castle with the sikló (cable car), have a túró rudi and drink a fröccs!
5. What is your favourite food?
I’m around food all the time, so hard to pick one dish. I love töltött paprika (stuffed paprika) and all the food my mom cooks.
6. What is your favourite sport / form of exercise?
I used to do horse riding for 10 years, I still love it, but unfortunately I do not have enough time for it nowadays. I have a great personal trainer, we do cross fit trainings 2 or 3 times a week, and sometimes I also do ashtanga yoga, one of my best friends is an excellent yoga trainer.
7. What is your favourite place in Hungary?
Besides Budapest, I love the Lake Balaton, especially the north side of the lake, Balatonfüred, Tihany and the Káli medence as well.
8. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
I love what I do, but if I have to pick another thing, I really love flowers, I always keep fresh flowers at home. Maybe I could see myself as a florist in my own beautiful flower - wonderland.
9. What’s a job you would definitely never want?
I need to be in motion; I need creativity and nice people around me. I would never want a job lack of any of these things.
10. Where did you spend your last vacation?
Tuscany, Florence. I loved it.
11. Where do you hope to spend your next one?
I always have a lot of travelling plans, now Paris, Madrid, Lyon (for the Bocuse d’Or final) and an Austrian mountain getaway is on my list.
12. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
As a teen I loved listening to Red Hot Chilli Peppers, I loved the movie Grease and La Boum (Házibuli) with Sophie Marceau and I always wanted to hang out with friends instead of learning :-)
13. Apart of temptation what can’t you resist?
Sweets! I love sweets. So I have to do a lot of sports :-)
14. Red wine or white?
It depends on the food and the season as well. Why don’t you guys include champagne to this question? :-)
15. Book or movie?
16. Morning person or night person?
Definitely not a morning person :-)
17. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
I do volunteer work for a foundation in Hungary called Mosoly Alapítvány (Smile Foundation) for more than 10 years now. They are helping sick children with tale and art therapy, and also organising special events for these children. I’m also a “Smile Ambassador” and trying to help them throughout my network.
18. Buda or Pest side?
Buda for living, Pest for going out.
19. Which achievement in your life are you most pleased about?
I’m really happy that I had the courage a year ago to start my own company. I’m going straight forward to reach my goals.
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
“Straight way is the shortest” :-)