Xpat Interview: Andreas Mensch, Former Executive Chef, Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge & Paris Budapest Restaurant.
- 24 May 2011 12:00 PM
Andreas start his carrier in Vienna-Austria, Demi Chef de Cuisine in the 2 Michelin stars, as well as 4 toques from Gault Millau restaurant Korso. He gained some experience in Oslo-Norway, as Sous Chef in Charge of Banqueting and Conference for up to 2500 Persons …. Then he moved to Riga-Latvia, as Executive Chef 5-star luxury Hotel, Member of the Private Collection and Leading Hotels of the World.
Arrived in united States to work as Executive Chef at Restaurant SILKS, Tyngsboro-USA, home of the 3rd largest wine list in North America, Silks at Stonehedge Inn had established an award winning reputation for its gourmet cuisine, been awarded the Grand Award for Outstanding Wine Lists by the Wine Spectator. Before to join Sofitel, he was in Moscow-Russia at the Shangri La Entertainment Complex and the New York Entertainment Complex, where he was in charge of all restaurants and the Corporate Pastry production.
He is 34 years old and married to Inga Rotberga-Mensch has 2 Children Adam and Arthur, he speaks German, English and Russian.
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
April 2009, curiosity of something new
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
Norway, Latvia, USA, Russia
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
The good Wine
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
5. What is your favorite Hungarian food?
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
Hopefully, nothing is missing from my fridge, different sauces, vinegars, oils and spices, just cant get enough of them
7.What is your favorite Hungarian word?
8. What do you miss most from home?
Sourdough bread, from the farmer
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
So far no other career I love what I am doing, but as soon I stop loving I will change
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
A office job
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
In Austria, in the mountains
12. Where do you hope to spend your next holiday?
On the sea, did not plan anything concrete yet
13. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
As a teenager I loved Pulp Fiction
14. What can't you resist?
Good Food and Wine
15. Red wine or white?
Both and rose
16. Book or movie?
17. Morning person or night person?
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
19. Buda or Pest side?
Both are butiful in ther own way
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
Make it good or don’t make it at all.