- 29 Jun 2015 12:00 PM
Growing up in India, Sanjiv studied Hotel management and has been living in various countries in MidSkyGreeceEast before landing in Budapest in 2006.
Since 2014, Sanjiv is working as Indian Specialty Chef for chosen events in Budapest, offering wide variety of Indian cuisine for events for companies and private people.
Currently he is working as personal chef for people with special dietary requirement, and developing new recipes for Paleo diet.
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
I arrived here in 20014 and this is my third tenure in Hungary. first time I came here in 2006 then keep coming back since then. I moved back here after spending 4 years in the United Kingdom. And of course it was The girl :) As it is the case with many other fellows.
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
I lived in various countries over the last 17 years like Oman, Bahrain, Poland, and United Kingdom.
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
Beautiful is the whole country, and the dynamics of Budapest with lovely people.
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend what must they absolutely see and do?
I will put them in hop on hop off bus to see all the touristy hot spots in one day, then I will take them to Margret Island for open places and some ruin pubs for sure. Maybe would add a walk from the Chain bridge to Central Kávéhaz at Ferenciek tere.
5. What is your favorite Hungarian food?
Lángos with home made Chana masala (Chickpeas Curry) and Gyümölcs leves as dessert at any place, Büfé, canteen, Restaurant or Hotel, doesn't matter :)
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
Cold Water, Milk, white wine and veggies.
7.What is your favorite Hungarian word?
Elfogyot! (run out) It just took me so long to learn how to pronounce it.
8. What do you miss most from home?
Openness of neighbours, here we are a bit reserved.
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
Fundraiser on street for fake NGOs.
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
Sopron, Western part of Hungary.
12. Where do you hope to spend your next holiday?
Hope? It's done! I am definitely going to Croatia next week, then Bosnia.
13. Apart of temptation what can't you resist?
Coffee in morning and cup of Chai any time.
14. What was your favorite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
Shoaly (Bollywood Bandit movie), Good Bad and Ugly, I had this movie on laser Disk, on Video Cassette and now on DVD. Yes, it's funny but in this order, believe me.
15. Red wine or white?
I do not drink alcohol.
16. Book or movie?
17. Morning person or night person?
I used to be a night person but since I have kids, they are forcing me to be a morning person.
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
Homelessness and Alcoholism wwhen both combined.
19. Buda or Pest side?
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
When you want to shootshoot! Don't talk!