- 5 Apr 2022 3:58 PM
In his day-to-day activities Mike looks after Taxually's corporate functions, supports business development and plays an active role in the broader ecosystem making sure Taxually's brand is known at all levels.
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
The first time I visited Budapest was in July 2000. I was working in Kyiv then and was looking to move further west. I eventually moved here in November 2000.
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
Yes, my first posting from the UK was to Kyiv. I was there nearly 3 years.
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
The very first surprise, apart from being a very beautiful place, was the huge Tesco store in Budaörs.
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
All the usual places. Castle district, Heroes square, Szt. Istvan’s Basilica. Eating outside at the numerous cafes and restaurants in the Central districts. I also never miss the chance to visit the Taj Mahal restaurant.
5. What is your favourite Hungarian food?
Goose legs and red cabbage
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
Hungarian beer (Dreher, Soproni)
7. What is your favourite Hungarian word?
Viszontlatasra - It took me months to work out how to say it; by which time it was too late to leave.
8. What do you miss most from home?
Apart from my parents, I miss being able to watch cricket at Lords and the St. Helens rugby league team.
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
If I was not an accountant/tax professional, I think I would have liked to do architecture, although when young I wanted to be a professional rugby player.
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
Anything where I cannot use my brain.
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
Greek islands (Rhodes, Halki)
12. Where do you hope to spend your next holiday?
Greek islands (Rhodes, Patmos, Symi)
13. Apart of temptation what can't you resist?
14. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
Fleetwood Mac, Ry Cooder, JJ Cale
15. Red wine or white?
If forced to make a choice, red.
16. Book or movie?
17. Morning person or night person?
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
Treating people with respect.
19. Buda or Pest side?
Pest - District 5
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
Never get tired of doing the right thing.