- 7 Feb 2008 11:00 AM
Each year, Ari S. Kupsus awards scholarships to four to six promising students from the Academy of Fine Arts Budapest. The honorees are featured in an annual group exhibition and one exceptional student also receives a solo show.
Complementing the temporary artwork, the gallery also features a rare antique collection that is reorganized for each exhibition to highlight the aesthetic harmony between the styles. The antique furniture and paintings span from the 19th century to the very early 20th century and include uncommon Northern European and Scandinavian Biedermeier and Empire pieces.
Finnish entrepreneur Ari Kupsus opened the gallery on September 23, 2009. As host of the Ari S. Kupsus Salon Concert Society for nearly 17 years, Mr. Kupsus was encouraged by the popularity of small-scale exhibitions at his events and decided to expand his presence in the local visual art scene.
A veteran antique collector with an affinity for early 19th-century Russian finds, Mr. Kupsus applies his personal passions and his professional background in high fashion and interior design to build his private collection.
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
For the first time I arrived to Hungarzy and Budapest 1st of August 1999 as a tourist. I was supposed to stay only three days but felt in love with the beautiful arhitecture of the city and stayed for two weeks.
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
Yes, in St Petersburg, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Warsaw
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
As I mentioned before the stunning architecture, beutiful buildings and squares.
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend-what must they absolutely see and do?
Among all famous sights (Andrassy boulevard, Hösök tér etc) they have to experience some of the fantastic cultural life; visiting opera, operetta or Palace of Arts. Also Ecseri antique market earlz Saturdaz morning is must!
5. What is your favourite Hungarian food?
Töltött paprika, Rákoczi túrós cake
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
Törley Charmant pezsgö ( I love little sweeter shampagne) and Finnish cloudberry jam
7. What is your favourite Hungarian word?
Ari (= aranyos, cute)
8. What do you miss the most from home?
Summer white nights and scandinavian type of black bread
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
Any outdoor job
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
Home in Budapest arranging and doing undone things
12. Where do you hope to spend your next one?
13. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
Never favoured any band more than the others, I liked all disco music. Still do. As a very young boy the favourite film was Tarzan, later never liked to go to movies. Still dont.
14. What can't you resist?
15. Red wine or white?
Absolutely dark red
16. Book or movie?
Like historical novels, no special writer.
17. Morning person or night person?
Both, depends on the season
18. Dog person or cat person?
19. Buda side or Pest side?
Absolutely aristocratic and pompous Pest
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
Give joy to the people around you and help minors.