- 12 Sep 2014 12:00 PM
Since 2011 he has steered the company responsible for the wholesale of vehicles carrying the Star in Hungary and has begun to turn the operation into a success story: last year Mercedes-Benz was the most dynamically developing premium automotive brand in Hungary.
Born in Stuttgart, the home of Mercedes-Benz, Ingo Fröhlich started to work for the brand with a star 20 years ago as a trainee at the company’s then all new factory in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
Almost two decades later, he moved into Hungary where the new plant in Kecskemét was starting up but that time, he was assigned with the task of managing the sales activities at the brand’s Budapest headquarters.
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
I moved to Hungary because of my job. This was in February 2011, so roughly three years ago.
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
I lived and worked altogether in 6 countries before I moved to Hungary. Amongst them are Greece, New Zealand, Croatia, Slovenia and the USA.
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
The Hungarian people thrive for excellence. I did not expect such a strong focus on quality in whatever the people are doing. I have the best team ever in Hungary, and I am proud of them.
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
Enjoying the view on the city from the Citadella by night.
5. What is your favourite Hungarian food?
Pálinka… Does that qualify as food?
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
7. What is your favourite Hungarian word?
I only know a few words, so I guess it would be not correct to talk about the beauty of the language… But I like the sound of “stílusos”.
8. What do you miss most from home?
“Home” is so close, so I don’t really miss anything.
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
It would be great to be an Architect for bridges or Conservator for historic buildings.
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
My Assistant’s job.
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
Croatia… I love the Croatian coast.
12. Where do you hope to spend your next holiday?
Somewhere, where there is lots of sun guaranteed.
13. Apart of temptation what can't you resist?
A good black forest cake.
14. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
At that age I was only into soccer.
15. Red wine or white?
Definitely both! I really like wines from Villány.
16. Book or movie?
17. Morning person or night person?
Night person that enjoys getting up early.
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
Children in any kind of troublesome situation are heart-breaking and deserve full attention and support.
19. Buda or Pest side?
Again both… I just realise that today I am a weak decision maker! Both parts are equally appealing to me!
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
“At the end all will be fine, if it is not fine, it is not the end!” Of course, it is not from me, it is from Oscar Wilde.