- 27 Mar 2017 12:00 PM
As the Owner & General Manager of 'Samuel Beckett's Irish Gastro Pub', usually known as 'Becketts', I'm responsible for all aspects of the daily running of the bar including: Finding, Hiring, and Training Staff; Promotional Ideas, Organising Live Music Events, amongst many other responsibilities, in order to maintain Becketts as Budapest's award winning 'The Place To Go Pub', of which it's held the honour for many years under my stewardship.
Becketts is well regarded as the 'original Irish experience' in downtown Budapest since it opened in 1994. My past experience extends to liaising with stakeholders in Ireland on a regular basis, as well as dealing with all statutory and local government regulations.
I have also worked in serveral bars in Ireland such as the Queens Bar Dalkey and Paddy McCormack’s in Mountown. I also worked in a supervisory position in an award winning hotel called the Killiney Court Hotel.
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
1st January 1995.
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
How beautiful it was.
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
Széchényi Baths, the zoo, and as much as they can of the city.
5. What is your favourite Hungarian food?
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
Two cans of Soproni beer.
7. What is your favourite Hungarian word?
8. What do you miss the most from home?
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
Maybe a politician, a good one.
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
It was a trio of places, first Croatia then Slovenia and finished in Italy.
12. Where do you hope to spend your next one?
13. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
U2, Star Wars or Bruce Lee movies, my hobby was football, and I tried stamp collecting for a while.
14. Apart of temptation what can't you resist?
Kit Kat chocolate.
15. Red wine or white?
16. Book or movie?
17. Morning person or night person?
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
19. Buda side or Pest side?
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
Never look back, always look forward, never give up.