- 20 Apr 2023 6:01 AM
She has made recordings for the Odradek Records label. Her first album "Splinters" featuring 20th Century Hungarian Works for Piano in 2013 was nominated for the BBC Music Magazine Award. Her second album, “Past Visions” paying homage to Schubert and Schumann, was released in 2019.
Mariann is a professor at the Franz Liszt Academy of Music in Budapest, her DLA / DMA dissertation deals with "György Ligeti's Etudes for Piano" (2008). She was awarded ‘Habilitation’ in 2022 at the Franz Liszt Academy of Music, Budapest.
Click here to visit her website
1. Where did you grow up?
In Sárospatak and in Budapest.
2. If you could be an expat anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
Obviously New York.
3. What would you miss most if you moved away from Hungary?
My parents, my relatives and the cultural life of Budapest.
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
They should visit some museums (eg National Gallery), one or two baths (Rudas or Király), walk through the Vár, the Andráss street and Nagykörút. Go to a nice concert to the Academy of Music, and finish the day with an evening walking on Margaret-island.
5. What is your favourite food?
Palóc-soup (green beens with potatoes, carrots, meat and tarragon)
6. What is your favourite sport / form of exercise?
Streching in the morning. Jogging under the trees. Playing football with my sons. Walking for hours.
7. What is your favourite place in Hungary?
8. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
I would love to be a violonist. Or a professional baker.
9. What’s a job you would definitely never want?
Construction sector worker or miner.
10. Where did you spend your last vacation?
Skopje / Macedonia
11. Where do you hope to spend your next one?
Athens / Greece
12. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
Favorite music was Mozart and Bach. Favorite film was the Black Tulip with Alain Delon. Favorite hobby was reading and walking.
13. Apart of temptation what can't you resist?
14. Red wine or white?
Armenian cognac or Hungarian quince schnaps.
15. Book or movie?
Movie followed by a good book.
16. Morning person or night person?
Both at the same time.
17. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
Problems of poor or disadvantaged children.
18. Buda or Pest side?
Buda and Pest. In this order.
19. Which achievement in your life are you most pleased about?
My three adorable sons, health and my PhD degree.
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
Efficiency and relaxedness are key to happiness: let me do it, please.