Budapest's Leaders Joined Talks on Recovery Plan at Last Minute, Says PM's Office

  • 26 May 2021 11:34 AM
  • Hungary Matters
Budapest's Leaders Joined Talks on Recovery Plan at Last Minute, Says PM's Office
Budapest’s leadership only attempted to join in social consultations on the government’s recovery plan at last minute, according to an official of the Prime Minister’s Office.

The Recovery and Resilience Plan takes the entire country’s interests as well as EU rules into account, Szabolcs Ágostházy, the state secretary for EU developments, said in an open letter to the city’s mayor, Gergely Karácsony.

Responding to a critical letter from the mayor, he said Budapest’s leaders had only made an attempt to involve themselves in the social consultation process mere weeks before the plan was submitted, notwithstanding several prior government invitations to do so.

In the summer of 2020, Karácsony was first invited to put forward his proposals, he said.

In mid-December the Association of Budapest Municipalities led by Karácsony was similarly invited to participate in consultations, yet it was only at the end of March this year that various interest groups, NGOs and local councils did so, he added.

Ágostházy said a joint government-municipality working group set up after a meeting of the Metropolitan Public Development Council at the end of March started its work almost immediately.

The state secretary accused the mayor and his staff of putting forward expensive and uncosted proposals for the capital whose lack of professional substantiation “made it hugely difficult even to consider the merits of the proposals.”

Budapest, Ágostházy said, was the country’s most highly developed city and its level of development was far higher than that of the EU average. Further, Budapest’s local government is the richest in the country, he said, adding the city had demanded that almost one-third of the resources of the Hungarian recovery plan go to Budapest without a care for the needs of other parts of Hungary.

The state secretary said “haste” on the Budapest leadership’s part was the likely reason why large elements of the capital’s proposals would fall foul of conditionality baked into the EU’s recovery framework.

Karácsony said on Facebook page in response that the capital’s leadership had indeed handed over its plans to the government and had hoped to come to an agreement on the substance of the recovery plan.

“We’ve make the Budapest municipality’s proposals public so the government can’t lie about them anymore,” he said.

“Once again private interests have trumped the public interest,” he said, adding the government had let down individuals and businesses brought down by the pandemic and had prioritised “Russian and Chinese economic interests over European values”.

Responding to the government’s charge that the municipality had sent material concerning how it intended to spend the funds from the EU recovery fund approximately the length of a text message, he referred to documents made public containing the capital’s plans, which he said had been handed over to the government.

“My staff worked with him tirelessly,” he said, adding that it had become clear that the government never had the intention of consulting or negotiating.


MTI Photo: Zsolt Szigetváry

  • How does this content make you feel?

XpatLoop Media Partner

Hungary Matters

Launched in January 2014, this newsletter published on week days covers 'everything you need to know about what’s going on in Hungary and beyond', according to its publisher the state media agency MTI.

Explore More Reports

  • 'Dangerous Proposals' on NATO's Table, Says PM Orbán

    'Dangerous Proposals' on NATO's Table, Says PM Orbán

    • 23 Mar 2022 9:06 AM

    “Dangerous proposals” regarding the response to the war in Ukraine “are on the table”, Prime Minister Viktor Orbán said after talks with European Council President Charles Michel on Monday.

  • Hungary to Extend Validity of Immunity Certificates

    Hungary to Extend Validity of Immunity Certificates

    • 4 Feb 2022 11:28 AM

    Hungary’s government will extend the validity of coronavirus immunity certificates for those who have received two vaccine doses until May 1, in line with the practice adopted by European Union countries, the prime minister’s chief of staff said.

  • School Closures Not Planned, Says Head of PM’s Office

    School Closures Not Planned, Says Head of PM’s Office

    • 16 Sep 2021 6:51 AM

    For the time being, the government is not planning school closures because of the pandemic but it may make a decision to this effect in the future, Gergely Gulyás, the head of the Prime Minister’s Office, said.