Thermal Spas, Baths & Pools in Budapest
Csillaghegy Open-Air Bath is the oldest bath in the capital. It started operation as early as the second half of the 19th century and has been operating in its present form since 2000. It is open even in winter, under a canvas tent roof.
The open-air bath is built into the hillside in a terraced manner ; the swimming and beach pools can be found on the first level, while the children's pool and the sun-bathing area are located uphill.
The site has been converted into a park exceeding 90,000 m2. There is a restaurant, as well, beside the heated leisure pool. The leisure pool and the children's pool were equipped with up-to-date water-filtering and circulation systems in 2000.
1038 Budapest, Pusztakúti út 2-6. /Public transportation: by suburban light train (HÉV) and by bus 42.
Phone: +36 1 242 0754
At the moment, there are 10 pools of various forms and temperatures in the facility's pleasant, picturesque surroundings. In 2000, the 2 large-sized thermal sitting pools situated on the territory of the Bath were transformed into 4 up-to-date pools and equipped with water filtering and circulation devices, these are utilized as a children's pool, thermal sitting pool, fancy pool and teaching pool.
The fancy pool offers a wide variety of facilities to the public - e.g. a whirling corridor, an effervescent bed, a whirlpool, neck showers, geysers, splashing sunbathing.
In the summer of 2002, the mushroom pool and the kidney-shaped pool were renovated, and the latter was equipped with a wave-making machine that produced individual concentric waves simulating the roar of the sea.
The Bath is located at the Pest bridgehead of the Árpád Bridge.
1135 Budapest, Népfürdõ utca 36. /Public transportation: by subway 3, by tram 1, by bus 133.
Phone: +36 30 215 6566
The architectural plan for the public bath in Dandár street was prepared by Ferenc K. Császár. The Bath was commissioned in 1930, then transformed in 1936. During World War II the Bath was only slightly damaged so it could be opened as soon as 1945. Originally, the Bath operated as a sanitary bath. In 1978, however, following a thorough reconstruction, it was put in operation as a thermal bath.
1095 Budapest, Dandár u. 3. /By public transportation: tramways 2 and 24 and buses 23 and 54.
Phone: +36 1 215 7084
The Gellért Thermal Bath and Hotel, known world-wide and highly favoured by foreigners, built in a secession style, opened its gates in 1918 and was expanded in 1927 by the wave-bath and in 1934 by the effervescent bath.
In the course of the modernisation accomplished in our days, the sitting-pool in the swimming complex, the outdoor sitting pool and the children's pool were renovated; they were equipped with a state-of-the art water filtering and circulation device. At present, nearly all healing facilities may be used in the Gellért Thermal Bath.
The Bath includes a department offering complex thermal bath acilities (daytime/outpatient hospital), it also has an inhalatorium.
1118 Budapest, Kelenhegyi út 4. /By public transportation: tramways 18, 19, 47 and 49, buses 7, 7A and 86.
Phone: +36 1 466 6166
One of the most beautiful baths to have survived from the Turkish period (16th century). These waters may help chronic spinal and articular complaints, and inflammatory spiral diseases too.
1027 Budapest, Fő utca 84.
Phone: +36 1 202 3688
One of the most attractive of the l9th century bathing establishments, with friendly staff and pleasant surroundings. Medical bathing cures are located the adjoining hospital.
06:00 – 20:00
1023 Budapest, Frankel Leó út 25-29.
Phone: +36 1 326 1695
The Open-Air Bath, located on the Margit island, in a nature conservation area, was opened as a beach on the bank of the Danube in 1919. With the construction of the large pool it was transformed in 1921 into an open-air bath.
Owing to its high popularity it had to be expanded, therefore an architectural project tender was launched in 1937, as a result of which the plans composed by István Janáky were accepted.
The current installation was completed on the basis of these plans. Its pools are supplied by the thermal springs of the Margit Island. In the second half of the 1980s, a five-path chute was built.
The open-air bath, also equipped with a wave-bath pool, allocated in a park area, is visited by many foreign guests, in addition to the Hungarian ones. There are sports grounds and playgrounds for children, offering excellent distraction facilities for all age groups. In 2002 the pools of the Open-Air Bath were modernised, they were equipped with water filtering and revolving devices. The swimming pool was shaped into three sections: swimming pool, fancy pool and beach pool.
Of these, the fancy pool is expecting visitors with neck shower, effervescence generator and whirling corridor.
1007 Budapest, Margitsziget
Phone: +36 1 340 4500
This is the youngest open-air bath of Budapest. The establishment of an open-air bath at this site was made available by the well-borings to a depth of 1,735 m performed in 1965, from which water of a temperature of 70°C and with a yield of 1,000 litre/min spouted up at that time.
The bath itself was built in 1989. The up-to-date pools, equipped with water filtering and revolving devices, located in cultured surroundings converted into a park offer high-level opportunities for recreation.
1149 Budapest, Egressy út 178/F. / By public transportation: trolleybuses 77 and 82.
Phone: +36 1 252 6944
The open-air bath was established in 1935 o n the bank of the Danube river, o n the basis of plans made by Alfred Hajós. The three pools situated among rose bowers ensure bathing, tanning and pleasant recreation facilities for all age groups. Its green area covered by spreading trees provides leisure and refreshment for its guests.
09:00 – 19:00
1st June – 30th August
1039 Budapest, Királyok útja 272.
Phone: +36 1 388 6665
Opening times 09:00 – 20:00 1st June – 30th August
1031 Budapest, Rozgonyi Piroska u. 2.
Phone: +36 1 388 9740
The baths is believed to have been built in the 1550s and rebuilt by Pasha Sokol Mustafa in 1566. At that time it was called `Green Columned Baths`. The centre of the present Rudas Baths, the Turkish bath, was formed during the Turkish occupation. It has an octagonal pool under a 10m-span dome supported by eight columns and surrounded by a barrel-vaulted corridor.
It exists today almost in its original form and is the core of the present baths.
The swimming pool dates from 1896 and was the second indoor pool in Budapest. The thermal baths is popular with all ages, though is for men only.
The swimming pool, which operates as a medicinal pool, is primarily visited by the elderly. However, children`s groups also visit in large numbers.
Several generations have learnt to swim here.
There are also complex physiotherapy services (daily hospital) offered on the second floor of Rudas Gyógyfürdõ.
1013 Budapest, Döbrentei tér 9. /By public transportation: buses 5, 7, 8 and 86 as well as tramway 18 and 19.
Phone: +36 1 356 1010
It is one of Europe`s largest bath complexes. The atmosphere of Roman bathing culture may be felt in its light, spacious pool halls, while Greek bathing culture is reflected in the tub baths, but traces of Nordic traditions may also be found in the heat chambers, saunas and dipping pools. This first spa of Pest owes its existence to the well dug by Vilmos Zsigmondy in 1879.
The present bath building was constructed in 1913. The swimming pool was built in 1927, but it was only open from May till September until the 1960ies, when, in 1963, it was made suitable for winter swimming as well. Since then it has been open throughout the year. The two `public bath` units were established also in 1927, today housing the mixed baths and the complex physiotherapy units (day hospital).
1146 Budapest, Állatkerti krt. 9-11.
Phone: +36 1 363 3210