- 13 Oct 2021 12:26 PM
He was previously Head of the Secondary school. Ben started his career as a Mathematics teacher in England, he then worked in Latin America and Asia before arriving in Hungary.
Ben is married to Marion and has two sons who also attend the school: Max and Finn.
Click here to learn more about The British International School Budapest.
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
I arrived here with my family in August 2017 to take up the post of Head of Secondary at our school. We have been very happy here ever since.
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
Yes, my first overseas posting was in Mexico City and after that I spent 10 years in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
How hot it was! We expected cooler weather coming from Southeast Asia. It was almost 40 degrees when we arrived. Our first winter was also something of a shock.
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
The Pilis - my favourite place in Hungary. It would include either hiking or biking, possibly finishing with kayaking or something similar on the river. They should be tired by the end of the day.
5. What is your favourite Hungarian food?
Pörkölt. Delicious on a cold winter day.
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
Cheese. Preferably at least 3 different types.
7. What is your favourite Hungarian word?
8. What do you miss most from home?
Family and friends.
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
Theoretical physicist. I studied Mathematics at university and its relationship to the underlying structure of the universe still fascinates me.
10. Where did you spend your last vacation?
Britain, seeing my family and especially my young nieces and nephews for the first time in 2 years.
11. Where do you hope to spend your next holiday?
Either by the sea or in the mountains.
12. Apart of temptation what can't you resist?
Indian food. Particularly a nice smoky Dal Makhani.
13. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
Any sport or outdoor activities in general, I would try almost anything.
14. Red wine or white?
15. Book or movie?
Book. Preferably non-fiction. I have recently been learning about the symbiotic relationship between trees and fungi.
16. Morning person or night person?
Morning, I am rarely awake past 9:30pm.
17. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
Prejudice and discrimination. We all have a right to be treated fairly.
18. Buda or Pest side?
Buda, because of the proximity to trails and forests.
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity - Seneca