Hungarian Gov’t Buys Munkácsy Masterpiece

  • 10 Jan 2019 7:55 AM
  • Hungary Matters
Hungarian Gov’t Buys Munkácsy Masterpiece
The Hungarian government has acquired 19th-century painter Mihály Munkácsy’s monumental piece Golgotha, the head of the Prime Minister’s Office said.

The government paid Hungarian-born American art collector Imre Pákh 3 billion forints (EUR 9.3m) for the painting, Gergely Gulyás told a press conference.

The purchase means that all three pieces of Munkácsy’s famous “Christ Trilogy” are now owned by the Hungarian state.

The state had owned Ecce Homo! (1896), the third painting in the trilogy, for years and acquired Christ Before Pilate (1881), another of the three, from Canada’s Art Gallery of Hamilton for 5.7 million US dollars in 2015, with funding from the central bank’s programme to buy national art treasures.

That year, talks between the government and Pákh on Hungary’s possible purchase of Golgotha fell through and Pákh was ready to have the painting removed from Debrecen’s Déri Museum.

After Hungary’s heritage authority gave Golgotha protected status to prevent it from being permanently removed from the country, Pákh appealed the decision, but his claim was rejected.

In 2017, the Kúria, Hungary’s supreme court, ordered a retrial in the case. Last year, the government and Pákh entered into negotiations on the painting’s sale.


MTI Photo: Czeglédi Zsolt

  • How does this content make you feel?

XpatLoop Media Partner

Hungary Matters

Launched in January 2014, this twice-daily newsletter covers 'everything you need to know about what’s going on in Hungary and beyond', according to its publisher the state media agency MTI. Click the title above for more info, and to subscribe.

Explore More Reports

  • Opinion: Budapest’s First Year Under Opposition Rule

    Opinion: Budapest’s First Year Under Opposition Rule

    • 22 Oct 2020 11:40 AM

    At the end of February, representatives of opposition parties governing Budapest gathered for a tense, closed door meeting in Budapest mayor Gergely Karácsony’s conference room, reports Direkt36.

  • Second Wave Of Epidemic Calls For Different Strategy, Says PM Orbán

    Second Wave Of Epidemic Calls For Different Strategy, Says PM Orbán

    • 14 Sep 2020 7:55 AM

    Prime Minister Viktor Orbán said in a television interview on Saturday that the second wave of the novel coronavirus epidemic called for a different strategy, but added that the country has gained experiences from the first wave and hospitals, as well as health equipment producers were prepared.

  • Opinion: How Covid-19 Epidemic Disrupted PM Orbán’s Machinery

    Opinion: How Covid-19 Epidemic Disrupted PM Orbán’s Machinery

    • 7 May 2020 7:35 AM

    In a two-minute video published on his Facebook page on Thursday before Easter, Prime Minister Viktor Orbán made important announcements. He spoke with his usual confidence but, perhaps as a sign of hurried times, he read some parts of his speech from handwritten paper notes.