- 27 Nov 2019 1:18 PM
However, her love of gastronomy led her to start a very successful food blog, Malackaraj. In 2012, Anna built up Táfelspicc, the food magazine of origo.hu, which she edited for two years.
In 2016, following a sabbatical year, she took on the role of PR manager with Triffla Első Pesti Gombabolt - the first delicatessen specializing in wild mushrooms and truffles in Budapest.
1. Where did you grow up?
In Cegléd, a town 80 kilometres from Budapest.
2. If you could be an expat anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
I lived in Italy for three years, and I’ve spent a lot of time in Mexico. I loved them both, so I think maybe there. But I’m really fine here.
3. What would you miss most if you moved away from Hungary?
I love how critical and direct (yes, I know, sometimes way too negative) Hungarians are. It may seem rude to some, but I love it. It’s very effective, and it fits my character very well.
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend – what must they absolutely see and do?
Thermal baths, old industrial areas, markets.
5. What is your favourite food?
I love all kind of főzelék, kimchi, churros, pizza, kalács (sweet bread) with butter, Wiener schnitzel, rákóczi túrós, barbecue ribs, etc. Sorry, I have so many!
6. What is your favourite sport / form of exercise?
I have a horse, so horse riding.
7. What is your favourite place in Hungary?
I love Nógrád megye and Zsámbéki medence. Lovely view.
8. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
Horse trainer, horse breeder, vet.
9. What’s a job you would definitely never want?
I’m not good at executing other people’s ideas, I can't stand monotony, and I’m very bad at small talk. Therefore, I couldn’t do a lot of jobs!
10. Where did you spend your last vacation?
At Dunakanyar (Danube Bend).
11. Where do you hope to spend your next one?
Dunakanyar would be fine.
12. What was your favourite band, film or hobby as a teen?
Depeche Mode, Metallica, Guns N’ Roses, Pulp Fiction, drawing, horse riding.
13. Apart from temptation, what can't you resist?
14. Red wine or white?
I’m more of a beer person. Right now, an IPA person.
15. Book or movie?
16. Morning person or night person?
17. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
Healthy nutrition. (Is it a social issue? It should be.)
18. Buda or Pest side?
19. Which achievement in your life are you most pleased about?
My dogs follow me without their leash.
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
Baklava and balaclava.
Proofread by Robyn Flemming
Robyn is an Australian freelance editor and proofreader, with clients in Australia, Asia and the Middle East.