Andrew Davidson, Deputy Head of Mission, British Embassy Budapest
- 26 Oct 2022 1:53 PM
Before joining the FCO, Andrew worked for the UK Intellectual Property Office, the Home Office, the British Council and in the private sector. He has lived and worked in Nigeria, France, Senegal, India and China.
1. Where did you grow up?
Devon, in SW of England.
2. If you could be an expat anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
Budapest! I specifically chose to apply for my role here, and am very fond of the city. It's beautiful, culturally stimulating and already feels like home.
3. What would you miss most if you moved away from Hungary?
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
Eat lots of strudels. Enjoy the various pools at Lukacs spa. Go to a ruin bar. Then in the morning head to Normafa for a brisk walk in the beautiful forest.
5. What is your favourite food?
Apart from the obvious (!) my wife LOVES galuska.
6. What is your favourite sport / form of exercise?
I used to run a lot, and raced all over the world - but injuries had turned me into a cyclist.
7. What is your favourite place in Hungary?
Orfű, near Pécs.
8. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
Perhaps in retirement I might become a baker - I kneaded a lot of sourdough during the Covid lockdowns.
9. What’s a job you would definitely never want?
Merchandising or product marketing (I'm a lousy shopper)
10. Where did you spend your last vacation?
Walking the Cornish coast path with my wife. It's was stunning: beaches, cliffs and sea views.
11. Where do you hope to spend your next one?
Devon ideally. We're also hoping to visit Croatia when we can.
12. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen? I
was a DJ for a while at university, mostly playing reggae, funk, indie and breakbeat records.
13. Apart of temptation what can't you resist?
14. Red wine or white?
Red wine (Cabernet Franc from Villány)
15. Book or movie?
16. Morning person or night person?
17. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
18. Buda or Pest side?
Soon after I arrived in Budapest, someone told me there're two types of people who live here. Those who live in Buda and those who wish they did. I'm the former (very fortunately).
19. Which achievement in your life are you most pleased about?
My fastest marathon was a little over 3hours. I felt like I'd won the lottery/got married/been promoted/had a childhood Christmas all in one go.
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
If it's important, give it 100%.