- 3 Oct 2023 3:09 PM
Click here to read his first interview
It’s been an action packed three years, dealing with Brexit, the pandemic and now the fallout of war in Europe. This has been combined with getting to know this wonderful country. I’ve hardly had a chance to catch breath but it’s been a great experience.
2. What’s the best party you’ve been to while in Hungary, and why?
It’s a close call between celebrating Her late Majesty’s Platinum jubilee last year and His Majesty’s coronation this year. Both were great, once in a lifetime experiences and I was so privileged to be able to share them with my Hungarian friends.
3. What was the most interesting travel trip you have ever taken?
In my career I’ve been fortunate enough to travel to so many places and explore so many countries. Two experiences stand out. The first my trip to Iraq in 2005, when as Head of the Iraq Policy Unit I undertook a fact-finding mission. The second was to Afghanistan in 2011 when I was in charge of this area in the Foreign Office. Both were extraordinary experiences at challenging times for both countries.
4. If you were given a wish that could come true, what would you ask for?
To do it all over again.
5. What’s the last book you read, and movie you watched?
I have just finished a book by Martin Rady ‘The Middle Kingdoms’, a history of this fascinating part of the world. The last film I watched was ‘The Third Man’, a classic I’ve seen many times but never ceases to fascinate me with its depiction of post-war Vienna.
6. If you could trade places with any other person for a week, real or fictional, with whom would it be?
Winston Churchill. An exceptional man who led an exceptional life.
7. Who do you admire the most, and why?
From history the usual figures crop up: Churchill, Abraham Lincoln. From more modern times I would choose Vlodymyr Zelenskyy, who offers a profile in courage and leadership.
8. What do you like best and least about living in Hungary?
The variety of the cultural offer, the wine and the people. I really can’t think of any real downsides of being here.
9. What has made the biggest impact on your life so far, and why?
My wife Vicki.
10. If your life had a theme song, what would it be?
‘I should be so lucky’ by Kylie Minogue!