- 14 Feb 2012 12:00 AM
John Murch, the expat manager at the Saree Samui Resort on Koh Samui at the time of this review, has around 30 years of hospitality experience. John’s career to-date has included the positions of:
• Assistant General Manager of The Lalu, Sun Moon Lake, Taiwan
• Executive Assistant Manager/Food & Beverage of Labriz Seychelles on Silhouette Island in the Seychelles
• Food & Beverage Manager of Amara Sanctuary Resort on Sentosa Island in Singapore
• Food & Beverage Manager of Banyan Tree Seychelles Mahe in the Seychelles
• Assistant Food & Beverage Manager of Hilton Tokyo in Japan
• Assistant Food & Beverage Manager/Resort Sommelier of Point Grace Resort on Providentiales in the Turks and Caicos, British West Indies
Originally from Canada, John’s career has brought him to the Caribbean, Japan, Seychelles, Singapore, Taiwan and now to Thailand.
Managing a Property in Paradise
Saree Samui is paradise found for guests of Mr Murch, particularly if you stay in one of the more opulent villas, you won't want to leave - trust me, and others that have posted reviews on TripAdvisor, for example:
"Excellent value - We originally booked 3 nights but extended our stay an additional 3 nights because Saree Samui was so stunning! The grounds are gorgeous and the pictures just do not do the place justice. It's on the smaller side so has a boutique-y feel which is great because I loathe standard hotels/resorts. The infinity pool over the beach scene is stunning and we were very happy to lazy about in our lounge chairs with breaks to the beach nearly every day. The beach is really quiet as well and very few people around when we stayed in early September, which is how we like it." says an American guest from San Francisco.
"Romantic retreat in paradise - We really enjoyed our stay at Saree Samui. The staff were friendly and helpfull (sic) at all times... John, the general manager was attentive to the guest's need and always close by to assist in need....The beachfront pool villa was very comfortable and clean. Our private pool gave a cool respite in the heat of the day and night. The spa treatments were excellent and gave good value for money. We will definitely be back," concluded Emile from South Africa.
Beautiful Boutique Villas
At Saree Samui all of the 53 boutique villas feature a master bedroom next to the outdoor-living area, full-scale outdoor-bathroom with separate bathtub and rain shower, an outdoor courtyard and a sundeck. 6 Beach Front Villas and 4 Beach Front Pool Villas overlook the stunning view of the sea.
The remaining 8 Tropical Pool Villas and 35 Tropical Villas (8 of these are interconnecting rooms which consist of 1 double bed and 1 twin bed) are amongst lush vegetation, though, short distance from the sea (152 meters). Large communal swimming pool of 9 x 35 meters in length and 1.5 meters in depth is a part of the resort. Access to wireless internet is available.
- Tropical Villas: each is located amongst the surrounding greenery and towering tropical palms which guarantee near-absolute privacy. The prevailing sounds are of the ocean breeze and tropical birds. Each room is fitted with a writing desk, TV, ‘Bose’ Hi Fi stereo system and DVD player. These villas have their own private garden.
- Tropical Pool Villas: all of these has its own private pool and is located amongst the surrounding tropical greenery which guarantees near-absolute privacy. Each room is fitted with a writing desk, TV, ‘Bose’ Hi Fi stereo system and DVD player.
- Beach Front Villas: every Beach Front Villa overlooks the fascinating views of the ocean and beyond. These rooms come with a large writing desk, TV and ‘Bose’ Hi Fi stereo system and DVD player. Each of the Beach Front Villas has its own private garden.
- Beach Front Pool Villa - these private pools are 1.2 meters deep outside the vila located at the front of the property overlooking the serene beach. These Villa’s have a 2.2 x 2.6 meter poolside area and come with a large writing desk, TV and ‘Bose’ Hi Fi stereo system and DVD player.
Inroom Facilities Include
• Coffee and tea making facilities • Satellite TV • Mini bar • Work desk • Wireless Internet (on request) • Bathrobes • In Room Safe • ‘Bose’ Hi Fi stereo system • DVD player • Room service • Individually controlled Air-con • Dual pressure hot shower • Separate shower & bathtub.
Guest Friendly Facilities
• Laundry, dry cleaning and pressing • Gift Shop • Large swimming pool, with children’s pool attached - one of the largest in the area at 35 x 9 meters in size - located next to the beach front • DVD Library with a wide range of free movies • Saree Spa • Beachfront restaurant • The amazing beach and warm waters of the clear blue sea...
Secluded Beach Location
Saree Samui is ideal for travelers in search of tranquility and anonymity away from the stresses and strains of daily life. It's an intimate retreat within a private paradise of exotic trees, flowers, and wild birds. On the secluded beach or amid the lush gardens of Saree Samui guests can enjoy being caressed by an ocean breeze. Whilst the property is perfectly peaceful it's still within 15 minutes reach of the popular shopping and nightlife area of Chaweng.
By Air - this writer was the Business Class guest of KLM to Bangkok from Budapest via Amsterdam, and can recommend that service. Qatar Airways now offers convenient services from Budapest to Bangkok and Phuket in Thailand, via Doha.
Access to the island is easy by local airport. Both Thai Airways and Bangkok Airways operate regular daily flights from Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi International Airport directly to Samui Island. Flight time is just around an hour.
Visit Saree Samui Online
135 Moo 4 Tumbol Mae Nam, Amphur Koh Samui, Suratthani 84330 Thailand
Tel: +66(0) 7724 7666
Part of The Unique Collection of Hotels & Resorts
Formed in 2005, The Unique Collection of Hotels & Resorts was established to meet the growing trend of boutique hotels and resorts, providing guidance and assistance from concepts and design through to opening and ongoing in all areas of hotel and resort management to deliver a unique and personalised experience.