New Demo in Budapest: Magyar Demands Resignation Of Public Prosecutor, and Whole Gov't

  • 28 Mar 2024 4:39 AM
  • Hungary Matters
New Demo in Budapest: Magyar Demands Resignation Of Public Prosecutor, and Whole Gov't
At a demonstration in central Budapest on Tuesday evening, Péter Magyar demanded the resignation of Chief Prosecutor Péter Polt and the government, and called for a truly independent investigation of a case referred to in a recording he secretly made in his home of a conversation with his ex-wife, the former justice minister.

Magyar had invited his followers to the demonstration after his hearing at the Chief Prosecutor’s Office earlier in the day. The demonstration started in front of the office headquarters and then moved to nearby Vértanúk Square.



Magyar told the event that Hungary had sunk in the “deepest political, moral and legal crisis” since post-communist transformation as a result of the cover-up of paedophile crimes, a scandal involving a presidential pardon, and corrupt bailiffs and government members.



He also said that the Chief Prosecutor’s Office should interview several government members and the prime minister in connection with the recording he had presented during his hearing.
 

*********************************
You're very welcome to comment, discuss and enjoy more stories, via our Facebook page: 
Facebook.com/XpatLoopNews + via XpatLoop’s groups: Budapest Expats / Expats Hungary


You can subscribe to our newsletter here:
XpatLoop.com/Newsletters

Do you want your business to reach tens of thousands of potential high-value expat customers?
Then just contact us here!

Related links

Shocker: Former Hungarian Justice Minister Accuses Ex-Husband Of 'Blackmail, Terrorising Her' After He Leaks Secret Recording

Hungarian Opinion on Péter Magyar, Ex-Husband of Former Justice Minister

  • How does this content make you feel?

XpatLoop Media Partner

Hungary Matters

Launched in January 2014, this newsletter published on week days covers 'everything you need to know about what’s going on in Hungary and beyond', according to its publisher the state media agency MTI.

Explore More Reports

  • 'Peace March' in Budapest on 15 March

    'Peace March' in Budapest on 15 March

    • 18 Feb 2026 5:11 AM

    The pro-government Civil Union Forum (CÖF) and its associated Civil Union Foundation (CÖKA) have officially announced a "Peace March" (Békemenet) to be held on the March 15 national holiday. The organization’s leader, László Csizmadia, confirmed on Tuesday that the police have been notified of the plans for the demonstration, which traditionally draws hundreds of thousands of supporters of the Orbán administration.

  • 'Budapest Pride 2.0' on Monday at Clark Adam Square Called for by Mayor

    'Budapest Pride 2.0' on Monday at Clark Adam Square Called for by Mayor

    • 28 Nov 2025 8:34 AM

    Budapest Mayor Gergely Karacsony announced on Thursday that he had convened an extraordinary assembly for Monday to reaffirm the "true financial situation" of the municipality. The decision will later be delivered to the Prime Minister’s Office in Buda Castle during a demonstration, he told a press conference.