'Our Homeland' Won't Withdraw Candidates Despite 'Smear Campaigns' in Hungary

  • 31 Mar 2026 12:55 PM
'Our Homeland' Won't Withdraw Candidates Despite 'Smear Campaigns' in Hungary
Our Homeland Movement (MHM) will field candidates in all 106 constituencies despite "smear campaigns", the party's deputy leader, Dora Duro, told a press briefing on the campaign trail in Miskolc, in eastern Hungary.

Duro said the party would not withdraw its candidates from any of the 106 election districts in favour of any other party.

She insisted that Our Homeland's parliamentary group had been the most active per MP over the past four years.

Key priorities, she said, were creating jobs with fair wages, strengthening the agriculture and food processing industries, and bolstering public safety.

"While the government backs multinationals and battery plants, we're focusing on Hungarian industry," Duro said.

Zoltan Pakusza, a parliamentary candidate, contrasted the party's track record with Fidesz's "16 years of cronyism and peak corruption" and the opposition Tisza Party's deep ties to the "NER system".

He underscored his party's anti-graft stance and warned of "no-go zones" spreading in and around Miskolc, where property values, he suggested, were plummeting due to disruptive neighbours. "Law-abiding citizens are paying the price," he said, pointing to Our Homeland's Crime Hunters initiative and 15 years of seeking solutions at local level.

Toroczkai: Criminals can expect no mercy

No one should expect mercy, and both local and white-collar crime will be stopped, Laszlo Toroczkai, leader of the Our Homeland Movement, declared on Saturday in Kallo, Nograd County, during a march titled "Enough Crime!" organised by the opposition party.

Protesters marched to the mayor's office, led by the Crime Hunters bus. The demonstration was held in response to an attack on the bus in the village. While police initially banned the event, the Kuria, Hungary's supreme court, overruled the decision, and the march proceeded under police protection.

Toroczkai emphasised that criminals had attacked the activists and were now behind bars "only because Our Homeland came here".

He blamed Interior Minister Sandor Pinter's policies for allowing "samurai-sword-wielding thugs" to terrorise Hungarians, Roma, Swabians, "and all decent people'.

"In two weeks, we will put an end to this. Criminals will face handcuffs, prison and forced labour," he vowed.

MTI Stock Photo - for illustrative purposes only

Source: MTI - Hungary’s national news agency since 1881. While MTI articles are usually factual, some may contain political bias, and readers should be aware that such content does not reflect the position of XpatLoop, which is neutral and independent.

Since the goal of XpatLoop is to keep readers well briefed, right across the spectrum of opinions, MTI items are shared to ensure readers are aware of all narratives within the local media.

XpatLoop believes in empowering readers to form their own views through complete and comprehensive coverage. To facilitate this XpatLoop has a balanced range of news partners, as you can see when you surf around XpatLoop.com

 

*********************************************************************************************

You're very welcome to comment, discuss and enjoy more stories via our Facebook page: 

Facebook.com/XpatLoopNews + via XpatLoop’s groups: Budapest Expats / Expats Hungary

You can subscribe to our newsletter here: XpatLoop.com/Newsletters

Showcase Your Business to Expats in the Loop:

As an independent portal we’re grateful to all commercial supporters who help keep you in the loop with fresh insights and inspiration. Do you want your business to reach tens of thousands of potential high-value expat customers? If so please contact us here.

  • How does this content make you feel?

Explore More Reports