- 26 Oct 2010 12:00 PM
Political Views: anti. Religious views: I believe in dog. Fav quote: "They f you up, your mum and dad. They may not mean to, but they do. They fill you with the faults they had And add some extra, just for you." Likes: Mono Klub Budapest, downtown at Ó utca 51.
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
I arrived in early 1996 by aeroplane but what brought me here was actually a book (its a long story). These days I live in Bucharest during the week.
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
Yes I lived in Notting Hill Gate for a while in the late 1980's. You'd go hunting for cigis and a mars bar but the local shops only sold persian rugs and ming vases.
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
Dont know what surprised me most but shopping for food was what I first enjoyed doing (füstölt csülök I remember being particularly taken with).
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
My friends mostly live in Hungary these days but back in the day we'd visit dodgy topless bars and go to megyeri út to watch Újpest.
5. What is your favourite Hungarian food?
Pacal pörkölt or possibly kocsonya (I've always liked offal).
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
Házi vegyes pálinka.
7. What is your favourite Hungarian word?
A while back it was bõségszarú but these days that seems a little innappropriate. Possibly túzok?
8. What do you miss most from home?
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
I've done enough different stuff already thanks.
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
Accountant - life's way too short!
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
At the Lukács.
12. Where do you hope to spend your next holiday?
South central Cornwall, God's country!
13. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
Roxy Music c.1976, anything starring Errol Flynn, birdwatching.
14. What can't you resist?
Beer, women and lying in bed until 3pm but not neccesarily in that order.
15. Red wine or white?
16. Book or movie?
17. Morning person or night person?
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
19. Buda or Pest side?
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
God knows? Possibly why choose when you can always have both!