- 7 Aug 2012 12:00 PM
For the future – he is interested in Renewable Energy related business opportunities and looking forward to further educating himself.
During his free time he enjoys running, swimming, skiing, golf, motorcycling and spending time with family and friends.
Alex is a British citizen and holds an Bachelor of Engineering degree from Brunel University, and a BBA from GSBA Business School Zurich. He speaks English, and German fluently (while he can get by, he is not proud of his Hungarian language skills). Alex is married with two children, Sophie (10) and Adam (8) - both in the local Hungarian school system and enjoying immensely.
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
I arrived in Hungary in 1999 with Sony on a 2year contract. I was responsible for transferring the Regional Supply Chain department from Zurich to Budapest.
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
Yes, in Zurich, Frankfurt and Stuttgart
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
The climate and language (still surprises me to this day).
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
Széchenyi fürdő, the Zoo, walk and lunch on Normafa, and of course wine & dine on the as much local food & drink as possible.
5. What is your favourite Hungarian food?
Lecsó, Lángos, and Pörkölt
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
Marmite, and Erős Pista
7. What is your favourite Hungarian word?
“Lágymányosi híd” as I still cannot pronounce it, and “szeretlek” when my kids say it to me.
8. What do you miss the most from home?
Actually – nothing. My home is wherever I am living.
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
Waiter, traffic warden
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
12. Where do you hope to spend your next one?
13. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
The Stone Roses, Top Gun, playing Football
14. What can't you resist?
Sea, Lakes and Rivers – if there’s one nearby, I jump in.
15. Red wine or white?
Always Red (unless I eat salt water fish)
16. Book or movie?
Quantity=Movie (since having kids)
17. Morning person or night person?
Morning (since having a Magyar Vizsla)
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
Education (primary&secondary) – as the world is changing so fast, we must prepare the younger generation in the proper way to meet the challenges.
19. Buda side or Pest side?
I have lived, worked, and played in both, if I would have to choose, then Buda.
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
“Walk your talk”, and treat others the way they treat you.