- 29 Feb 2016 11:00 AM
Yusaf has taught at universities and business schools all over the world, including University of Michigan, Stockholm School of Economics, Shanghai Jiaotong University and Queen’s University, Canada. His main research interests are international trade and investment, management development in Central and East Europe, and non-market strategies of emerging-market multinationals.
He is an active consultant and trainer to large multinationals and smaller, start-up firms. He is fluent in three languages and loves travel, good reads and fine food.
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
In 1999, a one year fellowship from the Civic Education Project
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
Yes - in 7 countries
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
The negativity and default pessimism of many people here
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
Szechenyi baths, the ruin pubs of the VII district, Opera, one of the many good restaurants in the V district
5. What is your favourite Hungarian food?
Hortobagy palacsinta and Somloi galuska
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
Pesto, olives, kefir
7. What is your favourite Hungarian word?
8. What do you miss the most from home?
The business/professional culture and optimism
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
Professional cricketer or TV commentator
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
While I never say never, being a policeman is one job I'd like to avoid.
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
Golfo Aranci in Sardinia
12. Where do you hope to spend your next one?
Trip through the Dolomites to Bolzano and Trento
13. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
Cricket and tennis
14. Apart of temptation what can't you resist?
Watching or reading detailed and thoughtful news analysis
15. Red wine or white?
Depends on what I am eating with it. How about rosé?
16. Book or movie?
17. Morning person or night person?
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
19. Buda side or Pest side?
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
You have absolutely no control over the thoughts, words and actions of other people