Calvin Chinthaka, Award-Winning British Filmmaker, Fashion Photographer
- 28 Jun 2021 6:01 PM
Having worked for over five years on both national and international brands – across corporate, creative, and advertising campaigns, and in a freelance capacity – devising and delivering successful visual content, Calvin brings innovation and tenacity together, with his specialist subject knowledge in fashion film production, creative production, content creation, fashion photography and distribution, Calvin offers a holistic approach to developing and creating a rich digital body of work, ready for industry.
Recent award-winning Sri Lankan fashion film available here
Social Media instagram.com/fashion_calvin
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
I was in and out of Hungary for the last few years, Since last year I have stayed here more regularly and now a settled British citizen in HU.
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
I am from London but my parents are Sri Lankan, So I do have strong connections with Sri Lanka and usually, I spend most of my time there. So I would say, Sri Lanka.
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
The city, It's like a walking museum, I love the architecture and the cityscape with the river.
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
I would say, Buckle up! Go sightseeing and city walk. Usual tourist spots like Basilica, Chain Bridge, Parliament, Varket Bazar, and the Castle district. Then jump into a spa and have a beer or two downtown.
5. What is your favorite Hungarian food?
For me Goulash and Lángos, YUM.
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
Cheese and Beer.
7. What is your favorite Hungarian word?
Nem tudom, because you can get away with anything saying Nem tudom, ha!
8. What do you miss most from home?
Good fish and chips or a chip butty from local fishy.
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
I always love my creative ventures. Even though I’m a fashion Photographer by trade. I would love to be a documentary travel Photographer, imagine capturing those untold stories of people and places.
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
I wouldn’t want to become a running instructor, that’s just too hard I think.
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
I was in Sri Lanka, Actually, I travel around Sri Lanka in a Scooter for 90 days doing my personal documentary photography project. Now I’m putting that into a book project.
12. Where do you hope to spend your next holiday?
Somewhere warm. May be back in Sri Lanka as I have not had a chance to visit there for over a year due to this evil pandemic.
13. Apart from temptation what can't you resist?
Cheese, Coffee, and Heineken.
14. What was your favorite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
Backstreet boys for sure. Hmm, wait !! oh, Britney may be. ( Hit me, baby, one more time ) that was one of my favorites. Haha yes, don’t judge me.
15. Red wine or white?
White, Sauvignon blanc - Medium-light body to be specific.
16. Book or movie?
Movies or documentaries.
17. Morning person or night person?
Both actually. I have way too much energy.
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
I believe in and support Zero Discrimination and promote equality.
19. Buda or Pest side?
Pest for me.
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly, Stay Focused and take a lot of pictures.