- 24 Aug 2022 3:52 PM
In the early years of his Foreign Service career, he was trained at the National Institute of Public Administration (INTAN) and at the Institute of Diplomacy and Foreign Relations (IDFR), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Among others, he was a Consul General, a Minister/Deputy Chief of Mission, Undersecretary for Multilateral Security, Deputy Chief of Protocol and Senior Director for Public Diplomacy.
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
Early August 2021. Obviously, my job assignment brought me here … and I am happy with it.
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
I have. Mexico, China, Russia and now Hungary. As a student, I was also in the UK. I also consider myself as a domestic expatriate back home. Where I came from (Malaysian Borneo) is across the sea (two and a half hours of flight) from where I work (Peninsula Malaysia) when I am on home posting.
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
Not surprised but rather impressed with Hungary’s management of their agricultural land.
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
Depending on the friends. Perhaps a sightseeing walk around Budapest and a game of golf.
5. What is your favourite Hungarian food?
Goulash and Lángos. For me, both complement each other.
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
All sorts of beverages, especially orange juice.
7. What is your favourite Hungarian word?
Köszönöm … the word I mostly used when ending conversation with Hungarians.
8. What do you miss most from home?
Family members and driving my old 4WD pick up truck in the hilly and green rural setting.
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
A be your own boss farmer in a small-scale farmland.
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
12. Where do you hope to spend your next holiday?
For a short holiday, wherever there is a golf resort with pleasant weather. For a long holiday, back in my hometown.
13. Apart of temptation what can't you resist?
14. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
As a teen, I don’t really have any particular favourite band but I love oldies and evergreen music till today. I also love comedy and fishing.
15. Red wine or white?
Both, depending on the food and occasion.
16. Book or movie?
I actually enjoyed both. I have a fairly large collection of books and DVD movies.
17. Morning person or night person?
In my line of work, I have to be both.
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
19. Buda or Pest side?
I actually spent my time at both sides.
20. What would you say is your personal motto?