Erem Erturan, Country Manager, Budget Rent a Car Hungary
- 21 Nov 2022 4:25 PM
He has been working at Otokoc Otomotiv which is the biggest leasing company and automitive dealer at Turkey for 20 years now.
Prior to coming to Hungary he was the country manager of Avis-Azerbaijan, Avis Kazakhstan and now at Budget Hungary.
1. When did you arrive and what brought you here?
I first came at the beginning of July to take this role in Budapest, then I spent two weeks in Turkey to arrange some paperwork and personal matters. My family and I got back here in August and settled down in the second district - my son started school at Britannica International.
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
Yes in Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan, so this is my third country as an expat.
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
I wasn’t surprised from a business point of view as the company is well established here. From a personal perspective I found Budapest to be a relatively small, cosy and compact place, compared to previous expat assignments. My family and I like it very much!
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
The wonderful historical places, like the Buda Castle. I’s suggest they try traditional Hungarian food, as for a Turkish restaurant here I can recommend Turkiz.
5. What is your favourite Hungarian food?
Goulash. It is similar to Turkish soup I like.
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
7. What is your favourite Hungarian word?
8. What do you miss most from home?
I have been away from home for 11 years now, and in this modern world it is easy to find everything you need. However obviously I miss my friends, relatives, and people close to me from my home town.
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
In History, for example working in an academy.
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
An elementary school teacher, I think it is the hardest job in the world to manage a class of young children.
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
In the Marmara region of Turkey.
12. Where do you hope to spend your next holiday?
In Finland, to see the Polar / Northern lights.
13. Apart of temptation what can't you resist?
Spending time with my family.
14. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
Film: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (1966)
Music: the soundtrack of that film.
Hobby: playing soccer and going to watch professional matches.
15. Red wine or white?
16. Book or movie?
17. Morning person or night person?
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
Starving and hungry people, especially poor kids.
19. Buda or Pest side?
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
The past is the past, focus on the future. If you keep looking back you cannot go forward.