- 2 Nov 2023 6:30 AM
She taught Science and Biology for eight years in the UK, holding a range of Pastoral and Academic Middle Leadership positions.
Holly moved to Hungary with her husband and started her position as Head of Key stage 3 at Britannica International School two years ago.
Holly has been appointed as Head of Secondary at Britannica from August 2023.
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
I arrived in Budapest in August 2021 to take up a role at Britannica International School.
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
Yes, before moving to Hungary I lived in Bangkok, Thailand.
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
How easy it is to get around! The public transport options in Budapest are extensive and Hungary is very well positioned to visit lots of surrounding countries.
4. Friends are in Budapest for the weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
If it was summer: The Children’s Railway, Zugligeti Libegő and ice cream!
If it was winter: The Basilica Christmas Market, Flippermúzeum and kürtőskalács.
5. What is your favourite Hungarian food?
It has to be Rántott Hús for me.
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
7. What is your favourite Hungarian word?
8. What do you miss most from home?
Spending Sunday evenings with my family watching Countryfile and eating crumpets!
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
I am passionate about conservation- having been a biology teacher for over 12 years - so something working in that area would certainly appeal.
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
I have absolutely no musical ability at all, so I think a job as any sort of musical performer would be a big-no for me.
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
My last vacation was spent in the beautiful Hungarian town of Villány sampling some of the famous local produce and walking through the vineyards - it was lovely.
12. Where do you hope to spend your next holiday?
I am very excited to be visiting Sicily in a few weeks time. I remember visiting as a teen and can’t wait to explore the island again as an adult. Mount Etna and the delicious food are big draws.
13. Apart from temptation, what can't you resist?
A good book.
14. What is your favourite band, film, or hobby?
My favourite film is ‘My Fair Lady’. I love the outfits, the music and the social commentary.
15. Red or white?
White - especially Egri Csillag or Late Harvest Tokaj.
16. Books or films?
Most definitely books. I always try to read the book before watching the film version - mostly so I can annoy my family by saying ‘well it wasn’t like that in the book!’
17. Morning person or night person?
Always an early-bird - I am my most productive in the mornings and always like an early night if I can get it.
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
19. Buda or Pest?
It would be hard for me not to say Buda. That is where I spend a lot of my time; I live in District II and Britannica is in District XII. I love the greenery of Buda and being able to easily access natural spaces. But I do have a lot of favourite restaurants in Pest!
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
“You must be the best judge of your own happiness.” - Jane Austen, Emma.