Vác Explosion Caused By Men 'Cooking Grenade'

  • 10 Mar 2020 8:55 AM
  • Hungary Around the Clock
Vác Explosion Caused By Men 'Cooking Grenade'
A gas explosion in a ten-storey residential building in Vác on Saturday was caused by two men heating a World War II grenade, at a gas stove, police revealed yesterday.

The explosion in a third-floor flat shattered windows, destroyed a partition and damaged the gas mains. No fire erupted but the 108 residents had to temporarily leave the building. They have since returned.

Paramedics tended to the two men, who sustained light injuries. They thought the grenade had been defused.

Police found large quantities of old ammunition, believed to have been defused, tactical weapons, firearms and wartime relics.

Proceedings have been launched against the two on suspicion of committing an abuse of explosive devices.

The man who sold them the grenade was caught and taken into custody with the help of Counter-Terrorist Centre agents at his home on Monday morning.

MTI Photo: Mihadák Zoltán

  • How does this content make you feel?

XpatLoop Media Partner

Hungary Around the Clock

Since 1995 Hungary Around the Clock has proven to be one of the most comprehensive sources of daily English-language news about Hungary. It covers ongoing domestic politics and foreign relations, as well as business and economic matters. For a free trial of HATC visit www.hatc.hu and click on 'Free Trial Subscription’.

Explore More Reports