Mega Price Tag Revealed: Hungarian State to Buy 80% of Budapest Airport in First Step

  • 9 Feb 2024 8:54 AM
  • Hungary Around the Clock
Mega Price Tag Revealed: Hungarian State to Buy 80% of Budapest Airport in First Step
The Economy Ministry has transferred €848.8 million to the accounts of state holding company Corvinus to buy a majority stake in Airport Holding Consulting, the parent company of Budapest Airport, website 24 reports.

In the first step the state will take an 80% share in the airport operator, with French airport management company Vinci acquiring the remaining 20%.

Later, Qatari investors could buy up to 29% of the shares, reducing the state’s stake in the airport operator to 51%.

In another option, 24 writes that Qatari ownership in the operator of Budapest’s international airport will be linked to the construction of a third terminal.

Before the pandemic, Bloomberg estimated the value of Budapest Airport, one of the fastest-growing airport hubs in the region, to be around €4 billion.

Thus, the price tag for Hungary could come to €2 billion, or roughly Ft 778 billion, exceeding the Ft 660 billion acquisition of Vodafone in late 2022.

The government will finance the airport acquisition with loans from state development bank MFB and state-owned EXIM bank, as well as budgetary sources and proceeds from the sale of state assets, Economy Minister Márton Nagy said earlier.

Hungary generated Ft 270 billion last year from the sale of its 15% stakes in both Erste Bank Hungary and Yettel Magyarország, and by reducing its holdings in the local businesses of the Vienna Insurance Group from 45% to 10%.

The current owners of Budapest Airport are a three-party consortium comprising German airport operator AviAlliance (with 51%), Singaporean investment fund Malton (29%) and the Canadian pension fund Caisse de Depot (20%).

You're very welcome to comment and discuss this, and enjoy more stories, via our Facebook page: + via XpatLoop’s group: Budapest Expats - The International Community

You can subscribe to our newsletter here:

Do you want your business to reach tens of thousands of potential high-value expat customers?
Then just contact us here!

Related links

Final Agreement on Repurchase of Budapest Airport Set for This Month by Gov't

Opposition Party Calls on Gov't to Develop Fixed Track Transport Rather Than Buying Budapest Airport

  • How does this content make you feel?

XpatLoop Media Partner

Hungary Around the Clock

Since 1995 Hungary Around the Clock has proven to be one of the most comprehensive sources of daily English-language news about Hungary. It covers ongoing domestic politics and foreign relations, as well as business and economic matters. For a free trial of HATC visit and click on 'Free Trial Subscription’.

Explore More Reports