Strike Halts Waste Collection Across Budapest - What's Next?

  • 25 Sep 2025 7:14 AM
  • Hungary Around the Clock
Strike Halts Waste Collection Across Budapest - What's Next?
Garbage collection in Budapest halted on Wednesday morning, due to a spontaneous, unannounced wildcat strike by several hundred MOHU employees at the Ecseri út depot in Budapest, who expressed 'unhappiness' over shortages of cleaning kits, work clothes, boots, and spare parts for garbage trucks.

Some vehicles previously decommissioned have been pressed back into service after partial repairs, but staff frustration remains high, they told tabloid Blikk.

MOHU Budapest urged workers to resume duties immediately, emphasising that a valid 2025 wage agreement with trade unions remains in force, making the work stoppage a violation of the Labour Code.

The waste collection concession holder, the subsidiary of MOL, expressed readiness to negotiate, though no representatives have yet been appointed by the strikers.

Food Couriers Stage New Pay Protest in Budapest this Thursday

The second pay protest by food delivery couriers in Budapest is planned to take place on 25 September. 

Delivery workers linked to companies such as Wolt and Foodora will take to the streets to protest worsening working conditions and pay decreases that have severely affected their livelihoods over recent years.

Also this week, hundreds of taxi drivers have been demonstrating for better work conditions.  Meanwhile, the police have been taking measures against taxi drivers who are slowing traffic on Margaret Bridge as well as on Andrassy Avenue. All this begs the question, what's coming next?


Related Article:
Taxis in Budapest Disrupt Traffic & Hold Protest


MTI Stock Photo - for illustrative purposes only

*********************************************************************************************

You're very welcome to comment, discuss and enjoy more stories via our Facebook page: 

Facebook.com/XpatLoopNews + via XpatLoop’s groups: Budapest Expats / Expats Hungary

You can subscribe to our newsletter here: XpatLoop.com/Newsletters

Showcase Your Business to Expats in the Loop:

As an independent portal we’re grateful to all commercial supporters who help keep you in the loop with fresh insights and inspiration. Do you want your business to reach tens of thousands of potential high-value expat customers? If so please contact us here.

  • How does this content make you feel?

XpatLoop Media Partner

Hungary Around the Clock

Since 1995 Hungary Around the Clock has proven to be one of the most comprehensive sources of daily English-language news about Hungary. It covers ongoing domestic politics and foreign relations, as well as business and economic matters. For a free trial of HATC visit www.hatc.hu and click on 'Free Trial Subscription’.

Explore More Reports

  • Update: Outgoing Orbán Refuses to Comply with CJEU Ruling on Child Protection Act in Hungary

    Update: Outgoing Orbán Refuses to Comply with CJEU Ruling on Child Protection Act in Hungary

    • 5 May 2026 6:44 AM

    The Hungarian government will not implement a ruling by the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) on the Hungarian Child Protection Act in light of the political, legal, and constitutional concerns associated with it, Prime Minister Viktor Orbán said in a letter to President Tamás Sulyok, which Gergely Gulyás, head of the Prime Minister's Office, published on Facebook on Saturday.

  • Growing Number of Ukrainian Spies Exposed in Hungary, Claims Gov't

    Growing Number of Ukrainian Spies Exposed in Hungary, Claims Gov't

    • 27 Mar 2026 8:17 AM

    The number of Ukrainian spies exposed in Hungary is growing, the minister heading the Prime Minister's Office told a regular press conference on Thursday. "The first was Szabolcs Panyi, who has been spying on his own country in cooperation with a foreign state, and the IT experts working for the Tisza Party," Gergely Gulyas said.