- 2 Jul 2019 6:33 PM
New Deputy Managing Director strengthens Gundel's team
The hospitality professional moved from London back home to Budapest to become the legendary restaurant's deputy managing director. In his career, he has served as a General Manager of several hospitality groups in London: Paramount, was one of the most elegant members-only club in Oxford Street, London; Revolution Bars Group, which employs 1,800 people and operates dozens of elegant restaurants, bars, clubs and venues; and similarly Novus Leisure Ltd.
Much of Norbert's career has been linked to England, where he worked his way up through the ranks of the hospitality industry.
1. Where did you grow up?
I was born in Sárospatak, North East Hungary and spent my teenage years there. Then got in to a university with a sponsorship in the other side of the country, North West Hungary (NYME), moved to London and spent the last 14 years there.
2. If you could be an expat anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
As I stated above, I moved to London and spent almost 15 years there, however it is great to be back home after all those years with my wife and our 1-year old daughter.
3. What would you miss most if you moved away from Hungary?
Family members and the close connection with nature.
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
They should definitely go out and enjoy a drink in one of the “Ruinbars” and do a boat trip on the Danube. And of course Gundel :)
5. What is your favourite food?
Love meat and would not be able to just pick one! But I love a good Beef Wellington.
6. What is your favourite sport / form of exercise?
I used to swim and still like to do occasionally; I also like to run on Margaret Island.
7. What is your favourite place in Hungary?
My family use to own a fishing house by the Bodrog River where I grew up and I still feel very attached to it.
8. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
I would love to manage building projects or create something extraordinary on a huge scale like a bridge? :)
9. What’s a job you would definitely never want?
Cashier in a grocery store.
10. Where did you spend your last vacation?
New York with my family.
11. Where do you hope to spend your next one?
Not sure, however planning a trip to Japan.
12. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
Beatles, Home Alone, and swimming.
13. Apart of temptation what can’t you resist?
14. Red wine or white?
Red with meal, white with a conversation.
15. Book or movie?
16. Morning person or night person?
Considering the fact, I am in hospitality, there is no such a thing. Whatever required to be :-)
17. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
18. Buda or Pest side?
19. Which achievement in your life are you most pleased about?
My wife and daughter, the two most important people in my life! We also bought our first house in London which we have designed and built a beautiful garden for.
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
Dream big and work hard! Every person got their own place in the world, you need to find yours! Your own value is determined also by what you are able to make of yourself.