- 2 Aug 2022 2:20 PM
He then moved to London where he spent time working with the legendary Roux brothers (Michel & Albert), Sally Clarke and Brian Turner.
This was followed by eight years at leading hotels including The Carlton, Hilton and Sheraton, where he set up and ran award-winning restaurants.
After a 20-year hiatus from working in the industry, Robert is now in Budapest and looks forward to returning to his culinary roots.
He is a strong believer in sourcing quality local ingredients and creating dishes using seasonal produce.
"I think for a long period we were caught up in the Michelin star, fine dining, 15-course tasting menu craze. I believe we will see a return to diners looking for beautifully cooked and locally sourced non-fussy dishes."
Click here to virtually visit Bobs's Kitchen Budapest
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
2019, had been living in Cape Town, but had to come back to Europe before Brexit kicked in, had enjoyed a few holidays and business trips in Hungary and thought why not.
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
Spain and South Africa.
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
Winters not nearly as bad as I thought they would be.
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
Take a taxi both sides of the Danube in the evening, the lights are superb.
5. What is your favourite Hungarian food?
Paprikas krumpli - with 5 types of sausage.
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
7. What is your favourite Hungarian word?
8. What do you miss most from home?
My grandmother's macaroni cheese.
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
Tuscany with friends.
12. Where do you hope to spend your next holiday?
Friend's wedding in Mexico.
13. Apart of temptation what can't you resist?
The last rolo.
14. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
15. Red wine or white?
16. Book or movie?
Book when on holiday.
17. Morning person or night person?
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
Cruelty to children and animals.
19. Buda or Pest side?
Currently live in Pest, so Pest it is.
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
Laughter is the best medicine.