- 19 Apr 2018 6:29 AM
- Hungary Matters
Confirming reports by news portal pestisracok.hu, ORFK said Gyárfás – whom it identified only as Tamás Gy. for legal reasons – had been taken in for questioning in connection with the case on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder.
Pestisracok.hu reported that the National Investigation Bureau (NNI) suspects Gyárfás of having hired Tamás Portik, the one-time head of an oil company involved in illicit deals in the nineties, “to liquidate his biggest business competitor”, Fenyő.
The portal said police had “solid evidence” against Gyárfás, including a 14-year-old audio recording of a conversation he had with Portik.
The NNI took over the case on October 31 last year. ORFK said on its website last week that the Fenyő investigation would resume with a view to finding the instigator of the murder.
Last May, the Budapest Court of Appeals upheld a life sentence for Slovak criminal Jozef Roháč for his role in the Budapest Aranykéz street bombing that claimed four lives in 1998 and the Fenyő murder on Feb. 11 of the same year.
In that same ruling, the court also upheld a 13-year prison sentence for Portik for his role in the crimes. Portik was found guilty of having instigated the Aranykéz street bombing while Roháč was sentenced for having carried it out. Roháč was also found guilty of having perpetrated the murder of Fenyő.