Update: CEOs of Public Media in Hungary Asked to Quit Due to Proven Bias Against Tisza

  • 8 Jun 2026 9:02 AM
Update: CEOs of Public Media in Hungary Asked to Quit Due to Proven Bias Against Tisza
Prime Minister Peter Magyar called for two public media CEOs to step down because of instructions to publish material discrediting the Tisza Party in a post on Facebook on Sunday.

"Now that it has been proven that the materials discrediting the Tisza Party in the public media were produced on the orders of senior management, CEOs Daniel Papp and Anita Altorjai must step down immediately," Magyar said.

In the post, he attached links to a story aired by RTL citing internal emails from public media news director Zsolt Nemeth instructing editors to step up coverage of an alleged plan by the Tisza Party that news source Index said would put an end to household utilities subsidies and motor fuel price caps.

Magyar: 'MTVA's fake news CEO finally gone'

"Although belatedly, the fake news CEO of the Media Service Support and Asset Management Fund (MTVA) finally stepped down today," Prime Minister Peter Magyar said on Facebook on Friday.

Magyar added that the same was expected of "the head of Duna Media Service Provider and the remaining servants of the failed regime".

Daniel Papp, MTVA's CEO, announced in a statement earlier on Friday that he had initiated the termination of his employment with Andras Koltay, head of the Media Council of the National Media and Communications Authority (NMHH).

The statement said Papp had cited the new government's intention to completely overhaul public media as the reason for his resignation.

Papp will continue to perform his duties during the notice period, the statement added.

Photo: mtva

Source: MTI – Hungary’s national news agency since 1881. While MTI articles are usually factual, some may contain political bias, and readers should be aware that such content does not reflect the position of XpatLoop, which is neutral and independent.

Since the goal of XpatLoop is to keep readers well briefed, right across the spectrum of opinions, MTI items are shared to ensure readers are aware of all narratives within the local media.

XpatLoop believes in empowering readers to form their own views through complete and comprehensive coverage. To facilitate this XpatLoop has a balanced range of news partners, as you can see when you surf around XpatLoop.com


*********************************************************************************************

You're very welcome to comment, discuss and enjoy more stories via our Facebook page: 

Facebook.com/XpatLoopNews + via XpatLoop’s groups: Budapest Expats / Expats Hungary

You can subscribe to our newsletter here: XpatLoop.com/Newsletters

Showcase Your Business to Expats in the Loop:

As an independent portal we’re grateful to all commercial supporters who help keep you in the loop with fresh insights and inspiration. Do you want your business to reach tens of thousands of potential high-value expat customers? If so please contact us here.

  • How does this content make you feel?

Explore More Reports

  • Shocking Costs: Police Investigating Orban’s Social Media Contracts

    Shocking Costs: Police Investigating Orban’s Social Media Contracts

    • 18 Aug 2026 8:07 AM

    Police are conducting criminal proceedings on suspicion of misuse of funds in connection with contracts linked to former Prime Minister Viktor Orbán’s social media content, the National Police Headquarters (ORFK) told MTI, confirming a report by the daily Népszava.

  • 'No Place in Hungary for Hatred' - Remembering Roma Murdered by Nazis

    'No Place in Hungary for Hatred' - Remembering Roma Murdered by Nazis

    • 4 Aug 2026 7:02 AM

    As Hungary commemorates the victims of the Roma Holocaust, the commitment is reaffirmed that there is no place for hatred, exclusion or collective stigmatisation, Vilmos Katai-Nemeth, the minister for social and family affairs, said on Sunday, quoting the thoughts of Kinga Dora Toth, state secretary for social, family and elderly affairs.

  • Magyar Challenges Orban to Public Debate

    Magyar Challenges Orban to Public Debate

    • 22 Jul 2026 8:12 AM

    Prime Minister Peter Magyar, addressing MPs in parliament on Tuesday, commented on the committee investigating abuses in enforcement, vehicle fuel prices, the rule of law, public media and the presidential nomination. He also challenged his predecessor, Viktor Orban, to a debate.